Contact Us

Bicester

01869 323223 24hrs

Aylesbury

01296 651000

Keep your pets safe this Xmas

To help keep your furry friends safe this festive period we would like to remind you of some of the risks to your pets’ health at this time of year:

 

Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats. Small amounts can cause vomiting and diarrhoea. Larger amounts cause rapid heart rates, tremors, fits and even death. Please do not get caught out by putting wrapped chocolates under the Christmas tree … it happens every year! If your pet has eaten some chocolate please call us straight away. Please keep the packaging and do find out just how much has been eaten so we can give you the best advice.

Grapes or raisins can cause acute kidney failure in pets. Please do not take the risk – do not let your pet eat any Christmas cake, mince pies, Christmas pudding or Panettone!

Mould in leftover food can be severely toxic to our pets. Leftovers can produce toxins which at best cause tummy upsets and at worse cause convulsions.

Cooked meat bones pose a risk of intestinal blockage, perforation or choking when ingested. It is advisable that pets are not fed cooked bones.

Ornamental plants plants such as Poinsettia, Holly, Mistletoe and even Christmas trees can cause gastrointestinal upset if eaten by our pets.

 

If you are concerned that our pet may have ingested something toxic,  please call us immediately on 01869 323223 for advice (24/7).

 

 

Share on social media

24/7 Emergency care 01869 323223

Our vets and nurses provide a 24 hour emergency service from our Bicester Veterinary Hospital.