Contact Us

Bicester

01869 323223 24hrs

Aylesbury

01296 651000

Take care with antifreeze this winter

Take care with antifreeze this winter

Ethylene Gycol is the active ingredient of antifreeze. Cats for some reason find it tasty. It is rapidly absorbed by the body and causes kidney damage. As little as one 5ml teaspoon of antifreeze can be fatal to a cat. Symptoms of antifreeze toxicity include:

  • Lethargy
  • Vomiting
  • Ataxia (wobbliness/ incoordination, or appearing drunk)
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Twitching eyes or muscles
  • Seizures

If you are using a product containing ethylene glycol please be extremely careful when using and storing it. Spillages should be cleared up straight away.  If you think your cat may have had contact or ingested some antifreeze, please contact us immediately.

 

Share on social media

24/7 Emergency care 01869 323223

Our vets and nurses provide a 24 hour emergency service from our Bicester Veterinary Hospital.